Director of Vulcan Solutions a technology transfer and software company taking fire based research and facilitating its application into industry.
BEng, CEng, FIFE, MICE, MIStructE
Mick has a background in design, construction and research with over 40 years experience. He has contributed continuously to the development of the fire engineering profession for over 30 years.
Previously as a partner of Buro Happold consulting engineers, he founded the fire safety engineering group FEDRA and was responsible for its international operations. Broad business experience came from being a partner/director on the main board of Buro Happold.
Selected fire engineering design projects include: –
- Millennium Dome original and 02 redevelopment
- Ascot Race Course
- Grand Museum of Egypt
- Al Faisaliah Tower, Riyadh
- Arsenal Football Arena
- Natural History Museum Spirit Store
- The Royal Armouries, Leeds
- Diplomatic Club, Riyadh
- Wimbledon centre court
Professional / academic contributions including authoring / chairing the production of books & guides across the fire engineering discipline include: –
- Chairman of the industrial liaison committee, University of Sheffield
- Chairman of the Fire study group IStructE
- Ran MSC course at the University of Leeds on the fire appraisal of existing structures
- Contribution to the basic principals behind the development of BS9999, Fire Safety Design.
- Ran fire course for Engineering and Architecture students at the University of Bath
- Ran fire course for Architecture students at the Royal College of Art
- Other University contributions include: – Greenwich, Southampton, Edinburgh, Tongji (Shanghai), Singapore, Sheffield, & Loughborough.
- Books & guides, include: – Appraisal of existing sports grounds guide IStructE, CIBSE guide E on fire safety – smoke control section, Introductory guide to fire safety engineering of structures – IStructE, Advanced guide for the fire safety engineering of structures IStructE.